A trademark (typically a brand name, phrase, logo, trade or business names or a combination of these elements identified by the symbols TM when not yet registered and ® when registered), is a distinctive sign or indicator used to identify that the products and/or services with which the trademark is associated originate from a unique source and to distinguish such products or services from those of others. It is essential to have a comprehensive domestic and global trademark strategy.
- Do you understand the important distinction between descriptive, generic and arbitrary trademarks when you are selecting a new brand or slogan?
- Before you chose a trademark, do you make sure no one else has rights to that mark – that you’re not infringing on someone else’s rights?
- Have you protected your trademarks in the appropriate International class of goods and services, and in the appropriate territories in anticipation of the future direction of the brand they represent?
- Do you have procedures in place for the proper management of your trademark use?
- Did you know that if you don’t monitor and police your trademark rights, you might weaken them or lose them?
- Do you have significant costs associated with the selection, renewal and defense of your trademarks that must be reduced?
- Is someone using your trademarks on Twitter or Facebook?
THE FRANCIS COMPANY advises you regarding these trademark issues and more to ensure the most dynamic, efficiently managed and cost effective trademark portfolio possible.